Garden Gate Forums
Need HELP ASAP ---SEED PACKETS - Printable Version

+- Garden Gate Forums (https://forums.gardengatemagazine.com)
+-- Thread: Need HELP ASAP ---SEED PACKETS (/showthread.php?tid=20664)

Need HELP ASAP ---SEED PACKETS - Grandmasflower2 - 04-16-2011

I need a question answered by anyone please, It looks like my 4 sons know there mom loves flowers, I just got today with a card that said just because MOM,a present from all them, 100 flower packets 3 or 4 of ea. I had already bought a bunch probily 30 my self, I have great sons but no way to plant all of these, can they be put in the freezer like in an air type bag,or any ideas besides giving them away? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Need HELP ASAP ---SEED PACKETS - IntrepidMeredith - 04-17-2011

What wonderful sons! Most seeds can be kept from year to year if they're just stored in a cool (not necessarily cold), dry place, out of direct sunlight. Germination rates will become less from year to year, but I've successfully planted even 5-year old tomato seeds that still had at least a 50% germination rate. Another option would be to donate some of them to a local community garden or children's garden. You can check with your local garden club, master gardeners association, or County Extension agent to find out what organizations are in your area and who to contact. Enjoy your blessing of riches -- both your plants and your sons! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Need HELP ASAP ---SEED PACKETS - nofeargardener - 04-17-2011

Good advice Meredith. I'll also tag onto that by highlighting the phrase Meredith used - "Dry Place." That's key. You may do well to keep them in a moisture-proof container.

And another option could be going online and finding a seed exchange. You may already have all the flowers you need, but you may be able to get some veggie seeds out of it. Just a thought.

VERY cool gift though!

Re: Need HELP ASAP ---SEED PACKETS - rcryser - 04-24-2012

I have vegetable and flower seeds (annuals and perennials) that have been in my frig for at least 8 years and most all are still viable. I keep them in ziplock baggies in the drawers of a garage frig that I use for 'overflow'. The seed exchange idea is great or offer them on Freecycle.