What new plants/products are you trying in 2006?
  Re: (0...)
Just interested to hear what new plants/products people are planning to try out this year. They don't have to be new introductions, just things you've never grown or used before.

I'm trying out Prunella grandiflora "Freelander" and Malva sylvestris "Mystic Merlin". The malva I know should reseed readily (it's related to hollyhocks). The prunella was listed in the seed catalog as adaptable to most soils and coditions, but when I got the seed packet, it said "May become invasive if planted near lawns." Whoops! It is growing very readily from seed, so I guess I'll plant it as an intended ground cover, rather than a small grouping in my border. Flexibility is a gardener's best friend!

So, what are you going to try?
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by IntrepidMeredith (Just interested to h...)
I am trying a hot drying/ristras-Paprika Supreme. I'm hoping to make my own paprika. I've never done this before but it sounds really easy. If it works out I plan on putting the paprika in little bottles and giving them out for Christmas presents.
  Re: Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by pioneer (I am trying a hot dr...)
there are a couple of new plants that I am thinking of trying-Lupine(Popsicle) Sea thrift(dusseldof Pride) coral bells(raspberry Regal) Geraniums(chacolate-the leaves are chocolate color/as are the flowers)and endless summer hydrangea.
  Re: Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by Star (there are a couple o...)
Anything I can afford!!! I have bought the new Elderberry, introduced in the gardengate magazine last month. It was kind of expensive but I am sure worth it. I also want to get a Witchhazel
  Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by IntrepidMeredith (Just interested to h...)
Hi! I'm a new gardener and finding out there are zone 4 plants that thrive in zone 3 "goody" I have tulips coming up already we have had cold weather here, no doubt. I planted two new heuchera's last year one very dark purple and another varigrated, they have survived. I want to plant more roses this year. don't know what kind yet I have some canadian roses.
  Re: Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by 3rdzone (Hi! I'm a new garde...)
Quote:I have some canadian roses.

Do you know which ones you have? I've been considering getting some of the Brownell Sub-Zero roses, but don't know enough about them to try them out. I do, however, have a William Baffin climbing rose. I'm in the center of Zone 4 (straddling the a/b line), and I give it no winter protection whatsoever. I haven't trained it to climb, so it's grown into a 4 to 5 (1.5 meter) foot shrub, but it comes back year after year with little to no die back (so far!). Catalogs I've seen show it hardy to Zone 3 without protection. Cuthbert Grant is another rose I keep eyeing but haven't picked up, and now I'm looking at the new Lady Elsie May. Does anyone know how much protection Elsie May needs?
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by IntrepidMeredith ([quote]I have some c...)
to 3rdzone
I to am in zone 3 and am interested in trying new things particularly zone 4(more to pick from. I like experimenting. Last year I put in the new colors,yellow and orange, coneflowers so I am anxious to see if they make it. I ordered some new hens and chicks and will try those but will keep in a pot for in and outside times. Happy Gardening
  Re: Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by Cindy K (to 3rdzone[br]I to a...)
I got some seeds, the plant is called Bear Grass. I'll try them to see if they will grow in my Zone 6, next to Lake Erie. They are origanally from Northern Montana. I hope they grow well, it will take a few years to see if they will really take hold.
  Re: Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 2006? by TinaK (I got some seeds, th...)
We've been having some hard droughts, so this year I went with the drought tolerant plants. Most that feed the hummingbirds.
Agastaches "Desert Sunrise", "Licorice mint", and Texas humming bird mint". And Texas "Red yucca". The colors are what really sold me, they are beautiful! I orderd them from Highcountry Gardens, they have a web-sit also. They don't sell seeds, so it's live plant orders, which I was impressed on how they handled that.
  Re: Re: What new plants/products are you trying in 200 by shadylane (We've been having so...)
This year, due to lots of mature trees shading our yard, we are going to try out large rectangular tubs from Gardners Supply for our patio. We will be able to "follow the sun" by placing them on wheeled platforms and moving them around. Metal upright cages should support 4 peppers in each tub. We are even considering popping in some lower tier salad crops around the edges. Will keep you posted!