Fragrant Sweet Peas growing up shrubs
  Re: (0...)
Is it a good idea to grow fragrant sweet peas up a lilac. I read the article by Linda Beutler on using shrubs for this purpose. Any ideas if lilac would be ok??
Green Blessings
Ayla
  Re: Fragrant Sweet Peas growing up shrubs by Ayla (Is it a good idea to...)
Would be very careful - the peas can choke out the lilac and they are very difficult to control once they get a start in your garden. How about putting them in a planter or container and see how it goes. That would eliminate them being evasive!!!
  Re: Re: Fragrant Sweet Peas growing up shrubs by planterlady (Would be very carefu...)
Hey planterlady
Thanks for the reply. I hope I can have that much success with my sweet peas. They got a late start (April)and they are still only about 2 to 3 feet high. I planted old heirloom varieties that are supposed to be more heat tolerant than others. I found 3 locations where they can grow up a fence, a corner of a shed, and a grapevine arbor over an old barn door, rather than a shrub. Hoping to smell the fragrance I've read so much about,in person. Do you know if I will get blooms the first year?? It seems too late for spring blooms now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Green Blessings
Ayla
  Re: Re: Fragrant Sweet Peas growing up shrubs by Ayla (Hey planterlady[br]T...)
For sure put them in pots. Someone years ago planted them in the rock garden I have in my yard and now all I have in the rock garden are the sweet peas. They are also everywhere else in the yard and very hard to get rid of.
  Re: Re: Fragrant Sweet Peas growing up shrubs by wgasastef (For sure put them in...)
wgasastef is right. They are extremely invasive. I didn't get a small room to plant anything. I dug those out five years ago and still they pop up each and every where.

growing vegetables
  Re: Re: Fragrant Sweet Peas growing up shrubs by Sarina_S (wgasastef is right. ...)
I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. I have about 25 plants that I started from seed. I have them still in the flat. I'm so grateful for your post. I will plant them away from my beds on a bank where they can do their thing.
Thanks again and Green Blessings
Ayla