Dog urine killing grass
  Re: (0...)
I have a small dog and it will pee in the same three spots on the grass every time. The spots are brown but I want to know if anyone has any tips on how to keep from getting these large spots from such a small dog?

P.S. I water the grass quite a bit in these 3 spots.
  Re: Dog urine killing grass by WindChimes1 (I have a small dog a...)
I also have a small dog (Lhasa Apso) and he pees on our lawn at night but I haven't noticed any browning of the grass.
It is probably easiest to change the dog's behavior. He is obviously marking his territory on the lawn. Try keeping him on a leash and redirecting him when he wants to lift his leg, or squat or whatever. Do you walk him so he empties the holding tank? It could be he is bored and this has become somewhat of an obsession for him.
  Re: Re: Dog urine killing grass by Trollskogen (I also have a small ...)
There are several products that change the ph of the dog's urine, so that it won't kill the grass. This is not marking behavior, the pooch just needs to go! I breed and raise show dogs, and don't worry about the grass, yet I have no problem. I would check out the products I mentioned above (try Gardens Alive catalog or website). And perhaps a change of diet might help -- I feed Eukanuba, and have no urine spots in the grass.
Pat, in rural Maryland
zone 6b
Master Gardener
  Re: Re: Dog urine killing grass by MDtibbies (There are several pr...)
Wind Chimes -
Could it be that you have a type of grass that is more sensitive to dog urine? When our St. Bernard let go we didn't see any difference in our grass, but then our grass might not have been as fine a turf as yours.
  Re: Re: Dog urine killing grass by Trollskogen (Wind Chimes - [br]Co...)
Instead of trying to change the dog's behavior, can you work with the dog? Are these areas where you could dig out the grass and replace it with some sort of mulch? You could add a decorative lawn ornament to dress it up, or perhaps install a small shrub or a few other plants that don't mind more acidic conditions. Don't add too much, however. The dog still needs space to do his business there!
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: Dog urine killing grass by IntrepidMeredith (Instead of trying to...)
It seems like usually the female dogs do the most damage as far as killing the grass. If the male ones always pee in the same spot it will evenually kill it but just give them something to pee on that is ok so they can lift their leg and mark their territory. I have tried some of the products that are suppose to neutralize the urine but my vet told me to quit using it. I guess it is harmones with the females that makes the difference. I have 2 females and 2 males now and none are killing the grass, but the males use the fence posts and their are a lot of posts and the females are both spade so they arent killing the grass either.
  Re: Re: Dog urine killing grass by monieo (It seems like usuall...)
Hi,
I would check out the products I mentioned above (try Gardens Alive catalog or website). And perhaps a change of diet might help -- I feed Eukanuba, and have no urine spots in the grass.
  Re: Re: Dog urine killing grass by gardenplanters (Hi,[br]I would check...)
I also have that type of problem. If you will get any solution for that please let me know.

I've had excellent results by simply sprinkling gypsum powder on the areas, then watering. It breaks down the ammonia content somehow, and it's a lot cheaper and easier to use than some of the commercial products!