Snakes
  Re: (0...)
My house is situated in a wooded area that is prone to copperhead snakes. They are beginning to invade my lawn. I'm wondering if there are any types of plants that they find aversive or any other tips for keeping these nasty tempered snakes away from my house. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
  Re: Snakes by PaulaJoines (My house is situated...)
Yikes! I feel sorry for you and I wished I could help, but I can't.
Here are some possibilities for you:

1) Contact your local wildlife control agency. You may be able to get some large sticky boards from them to help keep the snakes out. Also, they may have some chemicals that you could spray on the ground that irritate the snakes' skin.

2) Sprinkle the areas where they're entering your property with diatomaceous earth and cayenne pepper. These may also cause irritation to the snake, but, just be warned, they may also cause irritation to you and/or and pets you have that cross the area with bare feet/paws.

3) Contact your local County Extension Office. They've probably come up against this before, and may have some additional solutions to share with you. You can find their phone number in the blue pages of your local telephone book.

Good luck!!
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: Snakes by IntrepidMeredith (Here are some possib...)
I heard a local radio gardening host advise that, since there is no effective "snake repellant," you must eliminate their food source. Think about what might be the food source in your yard. Moles, mice, frogs?
  Re: Re: Snakes by stay70454 (I heard a local radi...)
My husband and I had problems in the past with copperheads, after reading an article about snakes, (sorry I can't remember in what magazine) the writier stated that the snake repellants do not work but to try to eliminate the places they like to hide under and along with stay70454 respose that should help. We did that this year and so far haven't had the problems we have had in the past. I sure wish you luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
It's really creepy to have snakes in your lawn. Just thinking about it makes me shiver. I think stay70454 is correct because that's what I also heard from others. And yes, they like to eat frogs. I also knew of a friend who mixed chopped garlic with water and sprayed it on every nook and cranny of his yard. I just don't know if it was effective.
Publisher, http://www.storagesheds360.com