Need help selecting plants for under pine trees!
  Re: (0...)
I am planning a dry stream bed and flower border for my yard (Zone 5, PA). At least half of the length of the flower bed will be along the drip-edge and slightly under three large pine trees in my yard. Can anyone suggest bulbs, perennials, and/or small shrubs for this dry, mostly shaded area? Do I need to worry about the sap from the trees damaging my plants? The bed will be big--about 100' long by 3' wide. Thanks in advance!
  Re: Need help selecting plants for under pine trees! by krweaver (I am planning a dry ...)
we have a very large pine tree. just inside the base we planted a ring of hostas all around. this is the second year for them and they look real good underneath.
  Re: Re: Need help selecting plants for under pine trees! by babag (we have a very large...)
I like aegopodium variegatum (Bishops Weed). It fills in quickly, has a light green 'cool' affect, and has lacy white flowers in the summer. Carefree and few pests. Can tolerate dry and shade. Can be invasive but easily controlled by buried edgings or easily pulling unwanted sprouts.
Cathy
  Re: Re: Need help selecting plants for under pine trees! by Bodakers (I like aegopodium va...)
I had Stella De Oro Daylillies & they did great - even in the shade of the pines.
  Re: Re: Need help selecting plants for under pine trees! by TheReArranger (I had Stella De Oro ...)
I have a shade garden and a large section is under very established pines. I have had success with pulmonaria, solomon's seal, bergenia, hostas, hellebores, sharp hepatica, jack in the pulpit and trillium. I've also had success with the minor bulbs like the guinea fritillary, chinodoxa, scilla "English Bluebells", and leucojum. I find that my bed isn't as dry as you might expect, the pine needles seem to retain moisture and there isn't that much competition for water as I had expected. Even though pines are notorious shallow rooted trees it just seems that the plants get the water first, that they are maybe just that bit more shallow rooted than the pines.

Hope this helps.
Jackie aka mompea
zone 6 in SE Michigan
They say the gods only give you what they feel you can handle...ummm, can we talk about this? Someone is grossly overestimating my coping abilities!
  Re: Re: Need help selecting plants for under pine trees! by mompea (I have a shade garde...)
Keep in mind that Bishop's Weed, Aegopodium podagraria, is called a fast growing ground cover because it is considered by many sources an invasive species.
Any plant will grow well under pine trees as long as you amend the soil really well with organic matter first so the soil will stay evenly moist even with those trees that use all the available soil moisture.
West Central Michigan along the lake shore.
  Re: Re: Need help selecting plants for under pine trees! by KimmSr (Keep in mind that Bi...)
Zone 5 Michigan I planted non stop begonias late spring and they flourished. Now I have to figure out how to overwinter them. Nan :* )