Jasmine Clematis / hostas
  Re: (0...)
The first question is, what is the best way to
get new starts of Jasmine Clematis? Can I do
cuttings?

The second question is, I have several hostas
that I would like to divide into a new bed.
What would be the best type of landscaping
material to use to retain adequate moisture, but
keep the slugs at bay * mulch, rock or gravel?
  Re: Jasmine Clematis / hostas by 1991 (The first question i...)
Hello from a newcomer. I've never successfully propagated any Clematis but there's good info here:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/prop.htm

As for the landscaping material....we've mulched our hosta beds and the slugs still got them. :mad: One aunt of mine has gravel around hers and the slugs still came. Sad So, I use slug bait in an empty 2 liter soda bottle in this way: Cut the top and neck off the bottle(in 1 piece) and insert the neck into the bottle. Staple or duct tape in place. Add slug bait and place between the hostas. The slugs get in but they can't get out and birds or pets aren't harmed by the bait.
Good luck!
  Re: Re: Jasmine Clematis / hostas by Judyboo (Hello from a newcome...)
Hi - I just moved a hosta to get it away from slugs. I put it into a mix of topsoil: mushroom compost (1:3). It is exploding. Even if the slugs came, they could not eat enough to damage the plant (previously, it was in nutrient poor soil, in a shady location under a tree).

To get slugs, I have a little turtle that I move around. It has slug bait inside of it. Animals cannot get into it, but the slugs and snails go right to it. I have found my "organic" slug bait somewhat effective, but the box has a limited lifespan, so I like the turtle better.

For some reason, my slugs won't drink my beer, so that won't work. Probably because it is a microbrew....
  Re: Re: Jasmine Clematis / hostas by groovyjoker (Hi - I just moved a ...)
The slug damage to my hostas has (so far) been tolerable, but I've heard that spreading diatomaceous earth or turkey grit on the ground under the plants can deter these pests. The edges on these particles are very sharp and cut up the slugs and snails if they try to move across them. Be sure you spread it all the way past the outer boundaries of the plants, past where the leaves droop to the ground, for it to have the best chance of working.

Also, I was reading (*gulp!*) another gardening magazine where a reader sent in this tip: He makes rings out of cardboard, wraps them with aluminum foil, applies a liberal amount of superglue to the top edge of the ring and then dips it into rock salt. When the glue is dry, the rings are placed around his plants. Both the aluminum and the salt are highly aversive to slugs and snails, so it acts as a double barrier. You'd need a pretty large ring to go around a hosta, but if you get desperate, you can give it a try.
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!