Tall mauve flowering plant
  Re: (0...)
I'm trying to find a plant to put in my garden for next year. It needs to be 4-5' tall, with mauve (or maybe blue/violet?) flowers. It will be planted in part sun to maybe barely full sun with well-drained soil that will be watered and mulched in the summer. It's immediate neighbors are Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum' in front and Echinacea 'White Swan' to the side, with the light blue house siding immediately behind it. Other flowering neighbors are Catananche (blue cupid's dart), Delphinium 'Blue Butterfly', Salvia 'Blue Victoria', Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' and dusty miller. If you're sensing blue/purple, orange/yellow, and white as a theme here, you'd be correct! :grin:

This last year I had Malva 'Mystic Merlin' planted there, but wasn't too overwhelmed with it's performance. The flowers were nice enough, but I didn't really like the branching pattern of the plants. Admittedly, the draught we had in July/August probably didn't help either.

I welcome any suggestions you fine, Garden Gate readers may have. It will give me something to look out for as those new seed catalogs start coming in!
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Tall mauve flowering plant by IntrepidMeredith (I'm trying to find a...)
Would a hollyhock work there? Usually the double flowering variety stay shorter than the single flowering ones. The problem would be finding the right color. If you have a Thompson and Morgan seed catalog you might see if they offer double hollyhocks in mauve. If I think of anything else I'll add it.
  Re: Re: Tall mauve flowering plant by plantlady (Would a hollyhock wo...)
The Thompson & Morgan catalog is great! Thanks for recommending it. I'm going to try the Creme de Cassis hollyhock in place of the Malva. It may be a bit taller than I want, but I can always pull it out again in a year or two if need be. I'm also switching out the blue Cupid's Dart for the bicolor (white), and I'm going to add some Centaurea 'Blue Carpet' as a ground cover. We'll see how it all works out!
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: Tall mauve flowering plant by IntrepidMeredith (The Thompson & Morga...)
Try some Joe Pye Weed,(Eupatorium purpureum Joe Pye weed ) it has nice mauve to dark rosey blooms, I have one this will be the 2nd year for it cant wait!! Butterflies love it too. I purchased mine at a Heritage ( Antique) flower farm in Wis. (http://www.heritageflowerfarm.com/produc...000287.jpg)
Enjoy!
http://www.heritageflowerfarm.com/produc...D=4&ID=287