veggies anyone?
  Re: (0...)
I keep reading that vegetable seeds and plants are running out the door of garden centers these days. Is anyone starting veggies or planning on growing some this year?
  Re: veggies anyone? (I keep reading that ...)
Mmmm... veggies! Last year the kids & I did a Ratatouille garden: Tomatoes planted with marigolds and parsley, pattypan squash planted with nasturtiums, bell peppers planted with basil, and eggplants. Our small corn patch ended up being a trap crop for the local raccoons and deer. They hit the corn, filled up, and left the rest of the garden alone! Outside my kitchen we also had a salad garden (romaine, spinach, carrots and radishes). I have a problem keeping up with the lettuce and spinach, so it frequently goes to seed before I get too much harvested, but the carrots and radishes were very yummy! I also have thyme and sage outside the door, so I can grab some quick while I'm cooking dinner. Smile This year I may try to do potatoes, peanuts, pumpkins, &/or cantaloupes/watermelons too. We'll see how much time I have to dig up more grass (and add more fencing vs. the varmints!)
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: veggies anyone? by IntrepidMeredith (Mmmm... veggies! Las...)
It is amazing how many people are talking about veggie gardening this year!! Very exciting. I am thinking about adding potatoes and butternut squash to my regulars this year. If anyone has any tips regarding these 2, I am all ears.

Gardenymph
Northeastern Massachusetts
  Re: Re: veggies anyone? by gardenymph (It is amazing how ma...)
The main thing with the potatoes is to make sure that your soil is very friable and free of stones. A consistent amount of moisture is also important. If the soil is allowed to get overly dry or soggy, you may get knobby potatoes or hollow spuds. And to get the largest crop, be sure to cover the stems with soil when they get to be 6-8" tall (this is called 'hilling'). It's easiest to make 15" deep trenches, put the seed potatoes in the trenches, cover them with about 4" of soil from the 'hill.' When the stems are 6-8" tall, level the hill into the trench.

As for the squash, well, aside from making sure there's plenty of compost added to the soil, and keeping an eye out for squash bugs, squash grow with abandon without much extra help from us humans. I learned long ago that 2 zucchini plants are more than plenty for my family. I'd cut back to only 1 plant, but I can't remember if they need to cross pollinate to produce fruit!
  Re: veggies anyone? (I keep reading that ...)
Hi There
I am attempting to out fox the critters and grow food this year. I think it is important to become as self sufficient as possible. I have got peas and kale planted so far.
Green Blessings
Ayla
  Re: Re: veggies anyone? by gardenymph (It is amazing how ma...)
Have you heard of growing potatoes in towers of old tires?
You get lots of yield and avoid many problems.
Green Blessings
Ayla
  Re: Re: veggies anyone? by Ayla (Have you heard of gr...)
Hello there1 I'm new to this thing but was wondering if anyone uses worm castings to start seeds. Oganic Fertilizer seems like it would produce a more hardy plant. What do you think?
  Re: Re: veggies anyone? by Ayla (Hi There[br]I am att...)
One thing I have done in the past is to put knee high hose over the fruit of the plant. Racoons can't stand that feel when they try to harvest the fruit. You may want to try it. Also, Cayanne pepper will help keep some pests out of the garden too. Hope this helps
  Re: Re: veggies anyone? by Angelaca (One thing I have don...)
I just planted my potatoes & a first planting of bush beans yesterday... and today my sciatic nerve is letting me know how much it resents that activity! (Note: MUST remember to stretch before gardening!!) The broccoli & cauliflower transplants went in last week, and I've planted my second round of salad fixin's, kohlrabi and beets. I hope to get the ground tilled this weekend where the veggie garden expansion will go, and then the corn, watermelon and brussels sprouts can go in too. I'll need to get that fence finished soon, too...
  Re: Re: veggies anyone? by IntrepidMeredith (I just planted my po...)
Hay,
I have done in the past is to put knee high hose over the fruit of the plant.Very exciting. I am thinking about adding potatoes and butternut squash to my regulars this year. If anyone has any tips regarding these 2, I am all ears.