Pansies
  Re: (0...)
Of all things, I cannot seem to grow Pansies. It always looks as though they have been eaten by something. But I am even speaking about winter pansies. I live in Eugene, OR and there just should be no problem with growing them year round. Anyone have any ideas or have had the similar issue? loribee
  Re: Pansies by loribee (Of all things, I can...)
Pansies are usually a pretty low maintenance plant, but they can sometimes be bothered by slugs. To see if slugs are a problem in your garden, lay a board on the ground in the garden for a few nights. Each morning you can check the underside of the board to see how many slugs have gathered there. If seems like slugs are the culprits, you can spread some diatomaceous earth (found in garden centers) or beer traps around the plantings to catch the critters before they ravage you plants. I hope this helps!
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: Pansies by IntrepidMeredith (Pansies are usually ...)
Thanks IntrepidMeredith! I'll try that. I thought it might be slugs but there are ducks all around here and I was hoping that they took care of the slugs. I'll try the board thing and see. But you know it happened all winter long, that's why I was stumped because of the freeze we get here.
  Re: Re: Pansies by loribee (Thanks IntrepidMered...)
Hi,
Each morning you can check the underside of the board to see how many slugs have gathered there. If seems like slugs are the culprits, you can spread some diatomaceous earth (found in garden centers) or beer traps around the plantings to catch the critters before they ravage you plants. I hope this helps!