Tree stumps
  Re: (0...)
I know that tree stumps would be considered big weeds but in my case they are not wanted so I classify them as "Weeds". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

We are in the process of clearing a hill for a woodland type garden and my hubby has dug up about 30 large stumps (many oak). Does anyone have a clue what can be done with them? Burning doesn't seem much of an option since there is so much soil trapped in the roots. It would probably take forever to ignite them.
  Re: Tree stumps by Trollskogen (I know that tree stu...)
See if there are any local woodworkers/artisans who might enjoy playing with them. My local childrens' bookstore has a huge stump (6'+ diameter) that was hollowed out, sanded and polished that is now a play area for the kids. It's gorgeous!
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: Tree stumps by IntrepidMeredith (See if there are any...)
CALL A TREE REMOVAL COMPANY IN YOUR YELLOW PAGES. THEY DO STUMP REMOVEALS REAL QUICK WITH A BLADE THAT GOES DOWN IN THE STUMP FOR REMOVAL. SIMPLE PROCESS.
  Re: Re: Tree stumps by pepper (CALL A TREE REMOVAL ...)
Thanks for the input pepper. Our problem is not removing them as such. They are already dug out. My hubby did it with our mini-excavator and pulley and ax etc. It's what to do with them afterward that has us stumped. (pun pun)

Craftsmen could probably make something of them.
They can be beautiful if the dirt is removed. I have one as a plant stand on our deck. But they are oak and really, really heavy and I doubt we can get a machine up on the hillside to get them down. . . and it costs money to get rid of them.
  Re: Re: Tree stumps by Trollskogen (Thanks for the input...)
OK. I think my hubby solved the problem. He suggested using a pressure hose to clean off the earth and then saw them up for firewood. I hope that works!
  Re: Re: Tree stumps by Trollskogen (OK. I think my hubb...)
Well as an update (if anyone is interested) -
We decided to do a stumpery and have been able to make use of almost all of the stumps. We have 3 stumperies so far in various sizes. I think this is going to be interesting to finish up, but it will take a lot of work. Of course.
  Re: Re: Tree stumps by IntrepidMeredith (See if there are any...)
I would recommend consulting Permatill. Permatill are committed to fundamentally improving the methods in which soils are conditioned for gardening, landscape construction, tree care and green roofs. You can contact them for structural soil solutions. Visit their website for additional information.Kudos!
Achieve urban tree growth with structural soil .
I would recommend consulting Permatill. They are known for their soil amendment and structural soil solutions. They offer green roof solutions and a lot more. You can visit their website for further details. Kudos!
I would recommend consulting Permatill. They are known for their soil amendment and structural soil solutions. They offer green roof solutions and a lot more. You can visit their website for further details. Kudos!
We've cleared lots of tree from our land over the past 10 years and with some of them my husband cut them up with a chain saw for use like stepping stones. Some I used in beds for a natural look and put a potted plant on top. Two we cut tall enough to put a board across for a bench. We've also rented a stump grinder from Home Depot and after cutting down the trees we ground the stumps out instead of digging. It's so much easier than digging out the stumps. Eventually the stumps will rot after termites get into them, unless you preserve them. But they are useful while they last.