Pigmy Palms
  Re: (0...)
I live in Zone 9 and after two unusual freezes this past winter, I'm wondering if my Pigmy Palms will come back. Should they be putting out their new fronds yet?
  Re: Pigmy Palms by 3013 (I live in Zone 9 and...)
Poking around online, it seems like pygmy palms should be able to handle temps a little bit below freezing, so I think it mostly just depends on exactly how cold it got (30-degrees F? 25-degrees F?), and how long the temp stayed below freezing. If you just got down to 30F for a few hours each time, my guess is they'll likely be OK. It it was down to 25F for most of the overnight each time, then maybe not so much OK. My guess is that, if it did survive, it probably will take a little bit longer to come back this spring, so try to be patient. Just keep it watered (soil moist but not soggy), and maybe give it a little slow release fertilizer (but don't over-fertilize!), and, as I already mentioned, be patient! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: Pigmy Palms by IntrepidMeredith (Poking around online...)
For pygmy date palm the right soil is clay, loam and sand. The soil should be acidic and must be well-drained. Warm water should be used for pygmy date palm.