Garden Gate Forums
new asparagus bed - Printable Version

+- Garden Gate Forums (https://forums.gardengatemagazine.com)
+-- Thread: new asparagus bed (/showthread.php?tid=19811)

new asparagus bed - nwkgardener - 05-05-2010

I planted a new asparagus bed this spring and followed all the directions for trenching, fertilizing, etc., however the instructions I followed that were with the plants did indicate that I needed to spread the roots out on a hill in the trench so they are laid flat. I have been reading other information that says this should be done. I have a few coming up but am wondering if I am going to need to replant these (if it is possible), and when I should do it if I have incorrectly planted these. I need some advice.

Re: new asparagus bed - IntrepidMeredith - 05-08-2010

Mainly you just want the roots to be spread out fairly evenly. Whether they're flat or angled somewhat downward shouldn't make that big a difference. The plant will be growing new roots anyway! However, you should definitely wait until next year until to do any harvesting, and then harvest very sparingly for the first 3 years. Home grown asparagus is a joy to have. Enjoy yours!

Re: new asparagus bed - BellaVega - 07-01-2010

If you don't harvest, are you supposed to don anything at the end of the season or just let the stalks die off? Does asparagus stalks need any support like stakes to stay up or are the root systems deep and strong enough? I love asparagus and would love to have it in my garden.

Re: new asparagus bed - IntrepidMeredith - 07-06-2010

Every year you need to allow a few stalks from each crown to mature. Just let them grow through the summer and die back in the fall naturally. No staking is necessary. They can be quite pretty!

Re: new asparagus bed - Guest - 07-07-2010

We all know that asparagus is a perennial plant. To plant it on bed you should put it on a place where not shade other vegetables in a garden. This vegetable requires patience because it took three years before the spears being harvested.

To ensure strong roots development and vigorous foliage after planting.
To encourage production of the spears cut back the top of asparagus foliage to the ground then dig up to remove female plants, which produce fewer and smaller spears.

Re: new asparagus bed - RomanRita - 07-09-2010

I've not grown asparagus myself, but my parents have always had a great crop that they keep expanding. They allow several stalks per asparagus "clump" to mature through the summer, and then burn them to the ground in the late fall.

RE: new asparagus bed - annybank2018 - 11-30-2021

Gotoassignmenthelp is team of leading professional writers for online assignment help Writing Services to students all around the world. Contact us today for Best Taxation law assignment help at very affordable price. Under GotoAssignmentHelp we provide many types of help to the students. We are the most reliable assignment helpers. We have gained our specialization after spending most of our times in making ourselves perfect. We providing 100% plagiarism free Assignment Help. At the point when you pick our math homework help assistance, our faculty will consider the quality and your evaluation criteria